Atlanta Film Festival New Blog Home

Twitter Updates

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

XBox and Netflix...(My) Life Has Just Gotten Easier

Sony has been pushing hard to make the PS3 a beast of a home entertainment system. Their Blu-Ray has won the next-gen format wars and in terms raw processing power, the PS3 can kick my Xbox's arse.

However! Xbox Live has been one of the main reasons I've enjoyed my Xbox. In terms of extending the life of a game, battling a half dozen or so folks over the internets has made dropping $60 on a disc infinitely more palatable. I was playing Call of Duty 4 several months after I beat the game, primarily because online makes at a different experience each and everytime out. Even now I'll occasionally pop it in just to hop online.

So how can Microsoft make my Xbox even more enjoyable? Streaming movies from my Netflix account is a big step.

It's hard to keep up with my Netflix discs (I still don't know where the 3 I have out now are) and there are times when I'm just not in the mood to watch the ones I have. Being able to satiate my film-jones on the fly (the prospect of sitting through a 3 hour epic is someties just too daunting) is a way to further cement my brand loyality.

Only issues I see right now is that 10,000 titles to choose from is still much too small of a selection. Especially as you peruse the titles. That there aren't more popular titles available could dampen this initiative before it has a chance to get off the ground.

Yet, what makes this announcement even better is that I can avoid scooping up the Roku. I was perfectly willing to drop a $100 on this little desktop device, but now that I already have my own "Roku" why bother?

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gAeLpFUmF7uINATNoiOHlH9SR_cwD91TRVT02

No comments: